Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving.

A few things to think about on this day of thankfulness...

I like this quote: 

"Black Friday: Because only in America do people trample others for sales exactly one day after being thankful for what we already have." 

But now we do this on Thanksgiving day too?? I could never go out shopping on Thanksgiving day, making others miss their turkey dinners with their family and having a nice relaxing day just because I wanted to save 5 bucks on something I probably don't need anyways. I know everyone likes a good deal, but do society a favor and at LEAST save it for Friday. No stores should be open today, and everyone should have the opportunity to spend it with the people that means the most to them. If you didn't plan ahead, that's your own fault. I'm sure you'll survive the day without that one item you forgot on your list, and it will be a lesson for next year to double check ahead of time. 

I know Thanksgiving is all about being thankful for what we have, being with friends and family, and appreciating every aspect of our lives, and I am so very thankful to be where I am today, experiencing such beauty and wonder in this amazing part of the world. I'm thankful to have a loving soul mate to share it with. I'm thankful to have friends and family that support me. I am thankful to have good health to be able to live my dream. I also can't help but to think of the true history of Thanksgiving. 

When people think of the history of Thanksgiving, they usually think of Native Americans and Pilgrims sitting at the same table, feasting themselves on turkey and corn, telling jokes, dancing, having a grand ol time. If only the truth was really that warm and fuzzy. If only the colonists didn't steal land that wasn't theirs, spread disease and famine to the native people, slaughter anyone who didn't follow their orders and fought to protect their way of life. When you look at the facts, this country was founded on terrorism. I would go into more detail explaining myself, but Google was created for a reason. Read THIS article, THIS one, and THIS one to get a better grasp on what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying we shouldn't celebrate Thanksgiving. We just need to detach ourselves from the excessive amount of greed and capitalism that revolves around this holiday, as well as all the other holidays. We need to appreciate the good things in life every day, not just focus on it one or two days a year. We need to spend time with friends and family as much as possible. We need to educate ourselves, because knowledge is more valuable than anything. Learn the truth, don't just go on what 'society' has led you to believe. Open your mind, open your heart, and strive to do good in the world.



 




HAPPY THANKSGIVING Y'ALL! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment